.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beginning A Food Journey

Definition:  a personal commitment to seek out living foods that not only nourish the body, but brings about greater health and vitality; to move away from dead, processed foods toward meals that are prepared from simple ingredients known to be life sustaining; an individual plan that meets the needs of one's family to slowly bring about a permanent lifestyle change in regards to food consumption.



Okay, that may not sum up a Food Journey completely, but I think it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about when I use this phrase, which I use a lot and will continue to talk about in the future. Based on the feed back I'm getting, this is a really hot issue for many of my readers right now. As it should be!


First, let me state that I don't know anyone who has arrived at their final destination in regards to a Food Journey (other than those who have never started!). I'm still learning and hope to be for years to come. I find the subject fascinating and at the same time, important to the family. After all, it's my job as a manager of my home to seek out the best for my husband, children, and myself. No one else is going to do it for us! 


Second, no Food Journey is going to keep one from ever getting sick, nor is it a fountain of life that will enable you to live forever. That's not the point nor the goal. However, it is the goal to eat in such a way as to enable one to function at peak capacity for the time that God allows. We are to walk wisely by making the most of what time we have (Eph. 5:15-16) and in order to do that, we must walk wisely through the vast sea of diets, food fads, and various  philosophies of eating that are bombarding every media source known to man!


Third, a Food Journey is personal. No two journeys will look exactly the same. And this makes sense when you realize that no two individuals are the same! Does that mean that there isn't common ground from one person's Food Journey to another's? Not at all. I believe that most of us will end up with several common denominators. And that's what I hope to concentrate on.


So, you ask... what would those common denominators be? I believe that it includes what most everyone agrees on as being a wise food habit (for a start!). And what does the Bible prescribe as common practice in regards to eating?


• Eliminating processed foods


• Avoiding refined sugars as a regular course, reserving them for truly special occasions, and limit honey and other sweeteners to a reasonable amount.


• Eating modestly from each food group


• Consuming meat and dairy products from animals that have been allowed to live as God intended (not wild necessarily, but by His design - cows eat grass, etc.)


• Eating fruits and vegetables in the seasons that God planned them; which is not to say we can't extend their seasons in gentle ways, but that we don't consume a small selection of them year round to the exclusion of other vegetables while at the same time, we do consume those that are ready to harvest at their peak.


Fourth, this is a PROCESS!! I can't stress this enough! If you jump right in full force, you're going to alienate your family, feel overwhelmed, and your budget will be shot! To be successful on your journey, you must be content to take small steps over a long period of time. Some of us will progress faster than others. That's okay! The goal is to make permanent changes, not to try something for six weeks and give up! Perseverance, patience, and resolve will be needed, especially at the start. You may find it difficult to give up that favorite junk food item and question whether or not it's worth it. You may have a spouse that is resistant. But if you stick with it, you will reap the benefits by feeling better and better.


May I add a word of caution here. Nothing of what I've written above is stated in a legalistic manner. Nor should our application of it be so. I have set aside my personal food preferences at times when dining in the homes of others. God gives grace. And if you are eating well regularly, then your body can handle an occasional overly cooked or processed meal.  Please be gentle with others on your journey, especially your family. 


There is way to much to say about a Food Journey in one post. So I plan to write a few on the subject and cover things like...


• my personal food journey and what it has looked like


• how to encourage your spouse and kids to buy into this whole idea


• what steps would I recommend you take if you are starting out


• resources that you can utilize


And then, we'll get into some other things like learning new kitchen skills and techniques! It'll take some time, so don't feel overwhelmed. Interspersed will be some other posts, but I'm headed down this road with a passion! 
So let's talk!








                          Photo Credit: Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails