.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11

I tried to post another piece today, but somehow I just couldn't do it. Things are still too fresh in my mind to ignore the fact that today is September 11th. Nine years later, I still get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see pictures of the scene in Manhattan or the Pentagon.


What photo would you pick that sums up what happened that fateful day and all that you feel? The buildings still standing and on fire? The sky after they are gone? The faces of shock on the people? Firefighters in disbelief? 


I couldn't do it. I couldn't pick one. Because I still want to cry each time I see them. But I could pick one of hope, which is where I choose to focus my thoughts...


Photo Credit: gravity_grave


The only thing that can bring true peace... the cross of Christ Jesus. 


After hours of watching the news on September 11, 2001, I finally tore myself away to tend to things at the house. My heart was so heavy and I couldn't think beyond what I had just witnessed. I was probably in shock! However, I looked out the window and there at the feeder, were several birds, carrying on as if nothing had happened. They were still hunting for food, tending their young, and flying around the yard. 


Photo Credit: flash_nerd


Immediately, I felt a peace come over me. Somehow God used that image of His creation to remind me that HE was sovereign and had not fallen off His throne. He would remain there for eternity and no one could take that away. And since He was all powerful, I remembered that even this event was neither out of His control, nor did it happen without His knowledge. 


There is a peace in knowing that God is still GOD. At least for those who love Him and know Him as their Savior. In Him alone we have hope where evil has tried to invade.


I pray that on this day of remembrance, your thoughts will return to Jesus Christ, who is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). He will always love us more than the birds (Matthew 6:25-34)!



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails